Thursday, October 20th, 2011...8:57 am
Colin Cowie Gives Expert Wedding Advice DID YOU KNOW…?
Gilt.com and wedding event planner extraordinaire Colin Cowie just got together in a Q&A to identify the items we shouldn’t feel badly about saving on or splurging on for the big day. Colin was also asked for tips on pulling off a chic wedding in three months or less, as well as what the best bridesmaid and guest favor recommendations are. Here’s the Q&A:
Gilt: What are the five things that you should always splurge on for a wedding?
Colin: Beautiful Invitations, Stunning Flowers, Delicious Food, Tasty Cocktails and Fabulous Music
Gilt: What are the five things you shouldn’t feel bad about saving on?
Colin: 1. Instead of expensive imported champagne, think of a sparkling wine or well-crafted cocktail.
2. Instead of a large orchestra or live band have a great DJ. Todays DJ’s are tomorrow’s rock stars.
3. Instead of a cocktail hour…..have your pictures taken prior to the wedding and then proceed directly from the ceremony to the reception.
4. Forget the party favors or tchotchkes…..instead upgrade the chicken stuffed with a-la-something to a succulent rack of lamb.
5. Instead of serving dessert followed by wedding cake….make your wedding cake the dessert feature.
Gilt: What’s the secret to pulling together a chic wedding on a short timeline of three months or less?
Colin: As long as you can confirm the venue and officiate of your choice, you can very easily plan a wedding in 3 months or less. Think about it, even though the average length of engagement is 12-18 months….most of the work is done in the last 3 months.
Gilt: What is your favorite recommendation for a bridesmaid gift? Favors?
Colin: Anything personalized that becomes a keepsake. If it is embroidered, foil stamped or engraved, a personal gift goes a long way. From bathrobes, to make-up bags, silver jewelry cases or personal stationery you can’t go wrong.
And check this out: as part of their big Bridal semi-annual sale, Gilt.com is having a wedding flash sale TODAY, at up to 60% off:
- Bridal party (dresses) by color
- Find the perfect wedding gift
- Flower Girl Dresses from Two Birds
- What to Wear from the Bridal Shower to the Honeymoon
- Gilt CITY New York offers a “Wedding in a Box” at Del Posto in New York – for $30,000 you get their private Gattarina Room as a bridal suite, and they provide the flowers and candelabras, as well as take care of seating and the dance-floor set up, among other things! They are also offering Gold and VIP Platinum passes to the famous Kleinfeld Bridal sample sale for $150 & $200 respectively, or members can indulge in the Royal Treatment package for 5 for $500
Lastly, check out Gilt.com to enter a contest to win a trip to New York City for a 2-hour wedding event consultation with Colin Cowie!